- Cameron AJ, Zinsmeister AR, Ballard DJ, et al. Prevalence of columnar-lined (Barrett's) esophagus. Comparison of population-based clinical and autopsy findings. Gastroenterology 1990; 99:918-22.
- "Study provides first estimate of U.S. population affected by Barrett's esophagus." Gastro.org. 2006. American Gastroenterological Association.
Accessed August 2007.
- Ronkainen J, Aro P, Storskrubb T, et al. Prevalence of Barrett's esophagus in the general population: an endoscopic study. Gastroenterology 2005; 129:1825-1831.
- Heiko Pohl and H.G. Welch. The role of over diagnosis and reclassification in the Marked Increase of esophageal adenocarcinoma incidence. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005: 97: 142-146.
- Westhoff B, Brotze S, Weston A, et al. The frequency of Barrett's esophagus in high-risk patients with chronic gerd. Gastrointestinal Endosc. 2005; 61:226-231.
- Reid B.J and Weinstein W. M. Barrett's esophagus and adenocarcinoma. Gastroenterology Clinics of North America 1987; 38: 477-492.
- G.M. Eisen. Ablation therapy for Barrett's esophagus. Gastrointestinal Endosc. 2003; 58: 760-769. 5
- "What Are the Key Statistics about Cancer of the Esophagus?" Cancer.org. 2006. American Cancer Society.
Accessed October 2007.
- Ganz RA, Utley DS, Stern RA, et al. Complete ablation of esophageal epithelium with a balloon-based bipolar electrode: a phased evaluation in the porcine and in the human esophagus. Gastrointest Endosc 2004; 60:1002-10.
- Dunkin BJ, Martinez J, Bejarano PA, et al; Thin-layer ablation of human esophageal epithelium using a bipolar radiofrequency balloon device. Surgical Endoscopy 2006; 20: 125-130.
- Sharma VK, Wang KK, Overholt BF, et al. Balloon-based, circumferential, endoscopic radiofrequency ablation of Barrett's esophagus: 1-year follow-up of 100 patients. Gastrointest Endosc 2007; 65:185-194.
- Fleischer DE, Overholt BF, Sharma VK, et al. Long-term (2.5 year) follow-up of the AIM-II trial for ablation of Barrett's esophagus: results after primary circumferential ablation followed by secondary focal ablation. Gastrointest Endosc 2007; 65: AB 135.
- Smith CD, Bejarano PA, Melvin WS, et al. Endoscopic ablation of intestinal metaplasia containing high-grade dysplasia in esophagectomy patients using a balloon-based ablation system. Surg Endosc 2007; 21:560-569.
- Gerson LB, Shetler K, and Triadafilopoulos G. Prevalence of Barrett's esophagus in asymptomatic individuals. Gastroenterology 2002;123:461-467
- "Fastest Rising Form of Cancer in the U.S." Webmd.com. 2005. WebMD.
Accessed October 2007.
- Shaheen N, Ransohoff DF. Gastroesophageal reflux, Barrett's esophagus and esophageal cancer. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2002; 287: 1972-1981.
- Sampliner RE. Updated guidelines for the diagnosis, surveillance and therapy of Barrett's esophagus. Am J Gastroenterol 2002; 97:1888–1895.
- Possible complications may include: mucosal laceration, perforation of the esophagus requiring surgery, infection, bleeding, and stricture formation requiring dilation. The overall complication rate reported for this procedure is approximately < .19%.
- Spechler SJ. Barrett's esophagus. N Engl J Med 2002; 346: 836-842.
- Gondrie JJ, Rygie AM, Sondermeijer C, et al. Balloon-based circumferential ablation followed by focal ablation of Barrett's esophagus containing high-grade dysplasia effectively removes all genetic alterations. Gastroenterology. 2007; Supplement S1: 132: A-64.
- Inadomi JM, Madanick RD, Somsouk M, Shaheen NJ. Radiofrequency ablation is more cost-effective than endoscopic surveillance or esophagectomy among patients with Barrett's esophagus and low-grade dysplasia. Gastroenterology. 2007; Supplement S1: 132: A-53.
- Ganz RA, Overholt BJ, Sharma VK, et al. HALO360+ circumferential ablation is safe and effective for the treatment of Barrett's esophagus and high-grade dysplasia: A U.S. multi-center registry. Gastrointest Endosc 2007; 65: AB 147.
- Sharma VK, Kim HJ, Musil D, Crowell MD, et al. Circumferential ablation of Barrett's esophagus with low-grade dysplasia: One and two year follow-up of the AIM-LGD Trial. Gastrointest Endosc. 2007; 65: AB155.
- Pouw RE, Gondrie JJ, Sondermeijer C, et al. Novel combined modality therapy for Barrett's esophagus containing high-grade dysplasia: Endoscopic mucosal resection followed by circumferential and focal ablation using the HALO system. Gastrointest Endosc 2007;65: AB111.
- Gondrie JJ, Pouw RE, Sondermeijer C, et al. Optimizing the technique for circumferential ablation of Barrett's esophagus containing high-grade dysplasia using the HALO360 system. Gastrointest Endosc 2007;65:AB 151.
- Rothstein RI, Chang K, Overholt BJ, et al. Focal ablation for treatment of dysplastic and non-dysplastic Barrett's esophagus: safety profile and initial experience with the HALO90 device in 508 cases. Gastrointest Endosc 2007;65: AB 147.
- Gondrie JJ, Peters F, Curvers WL, et al. Radiofrequency ablation of Barrett's esophagus containing high-grade dysplasia. Gastrointest Endosc 2007;65: AB 135.
- Beaumont H, Bergman JJ, Pouw RE, et al. Preservation of the functional integrity of the distal esophagus after circumferential ablation of Barrett's esophagus. Gastroenterology. 2007; Supplement S1: 132: A-255.
- Sharma P, Falk GW, Weston AP, et al. Dysplasia and cancer in a large multicenter cohort of patients with Barrett's esophagus. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006; 4:566-572
- BÂRRX Medical and the FDA MAUDE database (http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfmaude/search.cfm)
- Curvers W, ten Kate F, Krishnadath K, et al. Low grade dysplasia in Barrrett’s esophagus: overdiagnosed and underestimated. Am J Gastroenterol, 11 May 2010;doi:10.1038/ajg.2010.171.
- Fleischer D, Overholt B, Sharma V, et al. Endoscopic ablation of Barrett’s esophagus: a multicenter study with 2.5 year follow-up. Gastrointest Endosc 2008;68:867-76.
- BARRX Medical, Inc. HALO Patient Registry data on file.
- van Vilsteren FG, Pouw RE, Seewald S, et al. Stepwise radical endoscopic resection versus radiofrequency ablation for Barrett’s oesophagus with high-grade dysplasia or early cancer: a multicentre randomised trial. Gut 2011;60:765-73.
- Friedman L. The Sensitive Gut. A Harvard Medical School Special Health Report. 2010.
- “Study provides first estimate of U.S. population affected by Barrett’s esophagus.” Gastro.org. 2006. American Gastroenterological Association. www.gastro.org/wmspage.cfm?parm1=1834; Accessed August 2007.